Today I am doing Beautiful People, which is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time but haven’t done because I am not an ambitious person (my character flaw, everyone) and I couldn’t think of a good character to do. However, when reading through this post (which is focused on couples thanks to Valentine’s day), my OTP popped into my head and now I just have to do it about them.
I would like to introduce to you Zane and Jewel. They’re not really from a WIP, although I
have written a few one shots featuring them. They’re actually side characters from two projects in the same universe that I just decided would be stinking cute together, and they have since turned into my OTP.
1. How and why did they meet?
Zane was a sophomore in college when Jewel came to school and they both hung out in different circles, but they would see each other around campus or in class. However, the first time they spoke was the time Zane asked her out on a dare from his best friend.
2. What were their first impressions of each other?
Well, for Zane I know it was pretty much love at first sight (so cliche, I know). Jewel, going off the first time they spoke, saw him as awkward and adorable which are the probably the best adjectives to describe him.
3. How would they prove their love for each other?
Zane proves his love for Jewel by staying up late to talk with her (although he has been known to fall asleep around midnight, even in the middle of a sentence once), or watching a movie with her even when he sees that as a horrible way to spend time together. Jewel proves her love by giving him a hug or a kiss at random times, or forgoing a social gathering so they can hang out, even if that time is spent doing nothing.
4. What would be an ideal date?
Doing something they love together, whether it be taking a walk in the park, or going to the beach. They’d talk, mostly having deep conversations that can migrate into stupid little arguments over anything from grammar to whether the book was better than the movie.
5. Is there something they empathetically disagree on?
It would probably be theology. Jewel is a more of a charismatic Christian, while Zane is Presbyterian. They do have arguments about baptism, which might turn into a problem when they have kids, but they both are people willing to compromise, so I’m certain they’ll think of a way to make both of them happy.
6. List 5 “food quirks” they know about each other. (Ex: how they take their coffee, if they’re allergic to something, etc….and feel free to mention other non-food quirks!)
1. Zane doesn’t like the taste of coffee, but Jewel does. However, caffeine doesn’t work on her while it works on him, so college forced Zane into a coffee addiction.
2. Zane and his pal JJ love donuts, although Jewel introduced Zane to his favorite type of donut: Boston Creme.
3. Jewel is rather health conscious, and is incredible at coming up with innovative ways to eat gluten, sugar, and/or dairy free although she generally keeps it a secret from everyone.
4. They met in a coffee shop and meet there at least once a week and they chat about life and compare notes for their shared classes.
5. Zane’s hair is always sticking up in several directions because when he’s nervous he runs his hands through it.
7. What’s one thing they know about each other that no one else does?
Jewel knows about Zane’s family problems. He has a whole family with his mother and father happily married, and a few siblings, but he feels pressured to live up to their expectations, and thinks doing otherwise will bring their disappointment upon him. Jewel has a lot of private thoughts, despite being an open and outgoing person, but there are hardly any things that just Zane knows, for she also shares a lot of her deep and dark secrets with her friend group back home.
8. What’s one thing that they keep a secret from each other?
Jewel has a tendency to not talk about her family, so Zane knows little in regards to that part of her. Zane doesn’t usually keep secrets from her, so the only reason Jewel wouldn’t know something about him is if she doesn’t ask him about it.
9. How would their lives be different without each other?
Jewel: Without Zane, she probably would have gone the path that she went even when they were in a relationship. she would have graduated college, gained her teaching degree, and went on to work, although she might have wound up in a different career without his helpful advice. However, the main difference is that she probably would not have as much fun in her life. She’s not a pleasure seeker or anything, but Zane brought out her sense of humor and showed her an adventurous part of her. Without him, those would both remain deep inside of her.
Zane: Without Jewel, he also would probably have gone the same path of life with his career choices and everything, but without her, there are also parts of his personality which would have remained a secret. He would not have become as outgoing, or happy. Also, with Jewel’s influence, he probably would never have decided where he stood on multiple issues.
10. Where do they each see this relationship going?
Neither of them have a desire to date just “for fun”, so they are in this with long term views. However, both of them are reluctant to mention marriage because they are still young and don’t know how the other would respond, or their families. Sadly (for them) I am the only person who knows their future.
So that’s it! Thank you for reading. Let me know if you want me to ever share any of my writing with these two.